Visitors from other European Union member countries may enter Italy using either a passport or their national identity document. Visitors from other countries must have a valid passport and a visa if required. Inquiries regarding visas can be directed to Italian diplomatic representatives abroad.

For further information, please read the general conditions governing the entrance of foreign nationals to Italy as reported in the Ministry of Foreigners' Affair website (Passports and equivalent travel documents)
The entry visa consists of a sticker placed on a passport or other valid travel document authorizing its foreign bearer to set foot on the soil of the Italian Republic or that of another contracting country for transit or stay, to be evaluated on the basis of the needs associated with the status of international relations and with the defence of national security and the public order.

Visas issued by Italian missions abroad allow the bearer access, either for transit or for brief residence (up to 90 days) to Italy or other countries that apply the Schengen Convention, and is called a "Uniform Schengen Visa” (VSU). Likewise, a VSU issued by the diplomatic mission of another Schengen country allows access to Italian soil.

The entry visa for stays of longer than 90 days is called a "National Visa” (NV) and allows long-term residence on the soil of the State that issued it and, as long as it is valid, free circulation for a period of no more than 90 days per half-year on the soil of another Member State.

More information can be found on Ministry of Foreigners' Affair website (The entry visa)

It is recommended to advise to a Italy consulate in your country about the visa regulations for Italy before your departure.